Saturday, January 9, 2010

I really am trying to be more regular with this.

We were on the Story of Pendergast when last we met . . . .


So, Mr Dignified showed up and was cured of what we believe to be Bartonella, a bacterial infection. Minor miracle, seriously.

He had no interest in the other kitties, and no interest in petting or lap time. He didn't play. I have a kitty hammock on the table and he spent most of his time there. I never heard him purr. About two months ago, he started pitching a screaming hissy fit when I put him in the bedroom at night. After three consecutive evenings spent under the bed growling, I decided to let him stay out and about at night. I really started thinking that I'd made a mistake and he was never going to adjust or be happy here.



I talked to the roommate, who reminded me that our goal was not to adopt a lapcat, but to give him a life outside of a crate. In this we have been successful, and if he never decides to be part of the family as a whole, he's still better off with windows and kitty cups instead of most of his time in a crate.

OK. Attitude adjusted.

Fast forward a couple of months. He has become more and more "sociable", sitting out in the living room, separate and aloof, but still, out with the rest of the crew. Sometimes he sits on the couch. (!) He plays with the cat teaser, and has switched over to wet food from dry. I can't comb him, and God help whoever tries to trim his nails, but he greets me at the door, and meows if you talk to him. Go figure.

Here's a more current picture or two. Isn't he beautiful?



No comments: